Knowing the mechanisms of skincare products and how it works not only empowers you to make an informed purchase, but also to choose the right one for your skin type. It is, however, important to know the difference between a face oil and face serum, as well as expert tips on the best application method to get the most out of them.
If you don’t know the difference between a face oil and face serum, you are not alone. Face oils have been a part of the skincare routine since time immemorial. In the time of old, people applied plant-based oil on their skin to maintain youthful, glowing skin and fight wrinkles. Face oils are gotten from plant extracts that contain essential nutrients. The primary essence of face oils is to protect, nourish, and keep the skin hydrated. The nutrients also help to protect your skin from damage from external elements. Due to the fact that oil molecules in face oil are much larger in size, they can’t penetrate deep into the skin. Instead, they provide an extra dose of protection on the topmost layer of the skin.Despite that, they provide the skin with extra nourishment and nutrient.
Benefits of face oils
- Protects the skin from external elements
- Promotes youthful skin
- Repairs the skin’s barrier
- Retains moisture
- Rich in essential nutrients like vitamins, fatty acids, and antioxidants
Face serum containers highly effective active skincare ingredients. Serums contain actives such as peptides, which stimulates the production of collagen and antioxidant. They provide lasting solutions to various kinds of skin conditions. Serums are specifically used to combat acne, wrinkles, dullness, dehydration, damage, and hyper-pigmentation. After application, the active ingredients containing smaller molecules penetrate deeply into your skin. Since it doesn’t take long before your skin absorbs the active ingredients, face serums can be used twice daily. It should be one of the first products to apply to your skin before your face oil or sunscreen.
Serums are an essential part of your skincare routine as they are amazing when it comes to skin reparation.
Benefits of face serum
- Prevents hyper-pigmentation
- Smooth and firm skin
- Prevents acne
- Rejuvenates the skin
- Visibly reduce the sign of aging
- Stimulates the growth of dead skin cells
- Repairs damage caused by exposure to the elements such as sunburn
Do You Need Both Products
It depends on your skin type. If you are dealing with a specific skin condition, then it is highly recommended that you use both products, as it is an effective way to address the problem faster. The best part is that both products tend to be highly effective when layered to address a particular skin concern. If you are using both products, be sure to apply face serum on the skin first followed by face oil.
How to Use a Face Oil
- Apply small amounts of oil on your skin at once, around 2 – 6 drops of oil. Slow down on use if you experience breakouts or your skin produces a good amount of oil naturally
- Rub gently on your face. Massage the oil through your nose, ears, eyebrows, hairline, and neck
- It works more effectively in the evening when the body has time to rest.
- Remember to apply face oil only after using your moisturizer, or serum
How to Use Face Serum
Remember to choose a face serum with active ingredients that will treat the specific skin concern.
- Don’t just apply the serum on all affected areas. Run a trial test on a small skin area to see the results
- Apply 3 – 5 drops on to your skin, rub between your palms, and massage firmly and evenly on the face.